With Datometry, Azure breaks the last of the data silos05.21.20
July 4th, Independence Day, is a great reminder that bold action can create amazing outcomes with lasting significance. It’s also a reminder that it takes courage and stamina, and the creativity to envision a better future. When it comes to the enterprise things are no different. Many IT leaders have resigned themselves to view the enterprise data warehouses as given. They often wonder what a better future in the cloud could look like. But the realities of vendor lock-in weigh them down every time they think of rebelling against the status quo. I have news for you: there’s never been a better time to declare your independence from Teradata! And here’s why.
Just like it took the colonies years to muster the courage, leaving a long-standing vendor relationship takes guts. Teradata is no exemption. The on-premises data warehouse has become synonymous with data management at scale. However, what was once groundbreaking technology has since become technical debt that taxes the enterprise.
And while the desire to move to more cost-effective, more scalable and more modern technology has been tempting, truly viable alternatives have emerged only recently. The advent of powerful cloud data warehouses holds the promise of a brighter future.
Now that an alternative is available — what’s keeping enterprises? First of all, it takes bold leadership and courage. Courage to envision a future. Courage to persuade the team. Courage to overcome established processes.
Cloud data warehousing opens up a whole new universe with deep integration into futuristic technology like AI and machine learning. A myriad of vertical-specific solutions are readily available through the marketplace. Elasticity and rapid scaling let the enterprise react to unforeseen market developments.
Cloud technology may make for a soft landing but getting the enterprise to change its ways is hard. As a leader, you have to take charge, endure the nay-sayers, and pull through. Remember, every journey starts with a single step.
Understand your requirements and carefully weigh them. Too great is the temptation to go radical. Database history books are littered with failed attempts to replace Teradata with an inadequate technology like MapReduce. But it’s not only the technology choices to be wary of. Critically, it’s the “how”. How you approach it will decide your fate.
Conventional wisdom has it, migrating away from Teradata means all your applications need to be adjusted or, worse still, rewritten. An estimated 90+% of these attempts fail. The 80/20 nature of the migration problem is what’s responsible for the abysmally low rate of success. The first 80% of the project go fast, and victory seems immanent. Then, the remaining 20% almost always sink the project altogether.
So, instead of throwing the baby out with the bathwater and trying to rebuild everything at once, a safer and better way is to replace Teradata first but keep your applications and business processes intact. That’s where Datometry comes into play. Our Hyper-Q platform lets you take your existing applications and move them from Teradata to a cloud data warehouse without changing SQL or APIs. As we like to put it: Virtualize, don’t rewrite.
In the spirit of the Founding Fathers’ bold move on July 4, 1779, I pose this challenge for you. Liberate yourself from the confines of your on-premises data warehouse within the next 12 months. By July 2021 you too can be off Teradata. You’ve long toyed with the idea of tapping cloud and taking on a critical role in shaping the competitive posture of your company. Now is the time to lead!
Here is the game plan:
Start today and finish well before ID4 2021, then celebrate in style your newfound independence!