Fortune 100 Retailer
A Fortune 100 Retailer was looking to move their sizable custom business intelligence application, with close to 40 million application queries executed per week, to cloud-native Microsoft Azure™ SQL Data Warehouse. Their own testing and POCs had found that rewriting the entire application stack for the new cloud data warehouse would be a multi-year project with costs running in the tens-of-millions of dollars. Datometry was able to demonstrate that using its flagship product Datometry Hyper-Q™, the customer could migrate to the modern Azure SQL DW in 12 weeks.
The Fortune 100 Retailer was dealing with the following challenges in the migration of its very large, custom business intelligence applications:
- Project to migrate business applications to cloud-native Azure SQL DW and take advantage of the latest data warehouse technology for competitive business advantage would take several years and cost tens-of-millions of dollars.
- Critical business-facing database workloads needed to be consolidated prior to the migration.
- CAPEX and OPEX for its current aging data warehouse, Teradata®, were far too high.
- Datometry Hyper-Q functionality allowed the customer to transfer their custom business intelligence applications, with close to 40 million queries executed per week, in days rather than years to the modern Azure SQL DW.
- The deployment phase, including the hardening phase, was reduced to four months versus years.
Why the Data Architect Chose Datometry
Hyper-Q enabled the customer to run their existing custom business intelligence applications on the new cloud data warehouse instantly, without rewriting or reconfiguring them.
Fast Deployment & Simple Implementation
Hyper-Q can be deployed instantly and requires a testing phase of just weeks. The software does not require tuning and provides complete visibility into its operations.
High Concurrency & Workload Management Capabilities
Hyper-Q supports high concurrency and workload management capabilities in mixed workloads.
Why the Business Chose Datometry
Reduce Cost of Ownership
The customer was able to leave their expensive, long-standing data warehouse for a more modern economical data warehouse, cutting CAPEX and OPEX by up to 80%.
Preserve Business Investment
Hyper-Q removes the requirement of rewriting applications—a long, expensive, and risk-laden process for enterprises—thus allowing the customer to protect their long-standing investments in the development of custom business logic.
Accelerated Time to Value
Using Datometry Hyper-Q, the customer was able to reduce the time required to replatform by 85%.
Hyper-Q leaves existing applications unchanged which means projects can be fully tested in advance.
About Adaptive Data Virtualization
Adaptive Data Virtualization technology empowers enterprise IT with the freedom to innovate by unshackling applications from databases and making applications and databases interoperable. The applications can talk directly to Datometry Hyper-Q as if it were the original data warehouse, meaning that rewriting and reconfiguring applications is unnecessary. Once freed from vendor lock-in, the enterprise can innovate rapidly: running and managing applications in cloud databases or data warehouses, within multiple databases or data warehouses, in the cloud, or between different cloud platforms.